Time travelling with your mind

I was driving the other day and suddenly I thought:

What if, you live the present, with the mindset of your future self?

Is it possible? Will this mean that you will be able to live a life without regrets? Will your life be dull and without excitement? Or will you actually be happier, that at the end of the day, you know that all you did in the past prepared yourself for your future self?

I think a very important question to ask is do you know what you want in the future? We may never know what lies in store in the future for us, but if you know what you want, you will at least have an idea on what you are working towards to, and increase the likelihood that you'll get to where you want to go in the future.

Of course, there can be many ways to interpret the question. Another way to put it is: if you are in a difficult situation right now, in the present... You might think: "in the future, I will look back at this point of my life and wonder... what the hell was I thinking?" or "if only I could've been more outgoing, more adventurous".

I suppose there are many situations that this can or cannot be applied. Situations where you are in a dilemma either way you choose. Confused, lost, puzzled, bewildered and perhaps, curious. These are some of the emotions that drive our decisions everyday.

What I'm suggesting here is to utilise the human being's special ability of self conciousness, and put yourself in a 3rd person perspective when evaluating decisions for your daily conundrum.

**************************

P.S. My style of writing has been influenced by the Spanish translations that I've been doing on Duolingo! o_O

No comments: